Thursday, February 14, 2013

#3 Best Movie of 2012!!!

Where was I yesterday? Well, yesterday I was busy planning my awesome Valentine's day so in order to spread the love, tonight I will post the 3rd and 2nd best movies of the year according to me! Tomorrow (AKA At some point on Friday) I will post MY NUMBER 1 All-Time Favorite film of the year 2012! Did you hear that? Two thousand and twelve! Boom!

Without further ado....

 NUMBER 3

LOOPER

Two words. Bruce Willis. Okay okay... Another two words. Time Travel. Enough said right. Well, the answer is no. Time Travel movies can often be really confusing. If the movie isn't executed right, then you can lose your audience. But here is the other thing about movies involving time travel, if it can make enough sense, and if reason and logic can argue the timelines, then you have a good start.

Where this movie excels is its concept. Boom. You're in the future. Time travel is used only by the mafia. Joseph Gordon Levitt's character, Joe (or Young Joe if you will), is sent targets from 30 years in the future to eliminate them. Joe is a "Looper."  When a target is sent back, normally pieces of silver are attached to the target. EXCEPT, that rare occasion when gold is sent back with the target. Gold you say? Yes, however this is a horrible sign. When gold is sent with a target from the future, that target is you. It's called, "closing the loop." If you don't close the loop, bad BAD I repeat BAAADDDD stuff happens. If you don't believe me, watch the scene when Joe's friend, who should be "closing the loop", doesn't and what ensues. Joe doesn't know what to think of this at first and then, before you know it, his future self is sent back. This Sci-Fi was phenomenal in concept. In execution, it was unique. I won't say more than I already have, but not only do you have time-travel, you also have people who have TK. Telekinesis. At first, I didn't really see why it was so cool to have TK, especially when the rare individuals who do have it use it as a means of picking up women by moving quarters, but as the story progresses, the audience sees the damage that ensues from "The Rainmaker" and his abilities.

LOOPER---87%(B+)

Follow me @TheJayBrant on Twitter.

1 comment:

  1. Ok this is why I question your taste. This had a good idea and without giving anything away I feel like it was going somewhere amazing and completely feel short. It felt like one of those movie where they wanted you to feel what was good was bad and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete